Thursday, July 28, 2011

Home grown goodness

A little about me...I love cooking, oh and eating! Not only do I love cooking, I love cooking healthy. Yeah, I am one of those people that actually eat my veggies and like them. Even one of my favorite birthday presents ever was a cookbook...a salad cookbook, from Brian. If I could I would grow all my own veggies and make everything from scratch. That isn't quite in the cards yet but maybe one day. For now I use what I can from our tiny garden to make fresh and healthy meals for my family. For me, I'll pair that delicious meal with a fabulous cocktail(another favorite of mine). On the menu a couple nights ago: Chicken soft taco's with a minty mojito!
Chicken Soft Taco's: Take 1 pound of chicken, chop it up into extra small cubes. Once it is cooked add taco seasoning, water, and simmer. Once the chicken is finished take a whole grain soft taco shell, add chicken, and top with your favorite's. I use sour cream, home grown tomatoes, lettuce, corn, and cheese.
Mojito: Muddle lime, mint(also from the garden), and simple syrup in a glass. Simple syrup can be made easily at home by boiling together 2 parts sugar and 1 part water. Fill glass with ice, white rum, muddled mixture, and club soda. Stir and garnish.
I'm not one for measurements and usually make my drinks on the stronger side. However you like it, this combo is light, refreshing, and perfect to make on a hot night much like the one's we've been enjoying all summer...we are currently in are sixth heat wave so far. Stay cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment