Wednesday, March 14, 2012

DIY- No Sew Roman Shade

I've mentioned before my love for Pinterest. There are so many amazing and inspiring crafts, pictures, recipe's, and idea's that can be found all in once place. Since moving into our home back in November I've been using it to get ideas for everything around the house. Ideas for DIY's, paint colors, decor, and furniture to name a few. My most recent project came from this. It was exactly what I had been looking for and wanted to do for my kitchen windows. I love the shades at West Elm and Smith and Noble however, neither me or my wallet like the price tags that come with them.
As soon as I found this step by step tutorial I knew I was up for the challenge. I knew I wanted a fabric with yellow, grey, and white for my kitchen. I searched and searched and found a few that I liked. I really liked these:
MEDALLION BAND-CITRINE
Dwell Studio

Waverly

Well, those were a little pricey since I needed at least 5 yards and I really didn't want to fork out the money my project ended up being a complete bust! So, I ventured to Jo-Ann's to see what I could find. Well turns out I found just what I was looking for and couldn't have been happier when I found out the price was $2.50/yard. Score! Well just when I thought my search was over they only had 2 yards left. I decided to take what they had and find the rest online or at another store. Long story short and after not having what I needed at another store or online I was able to order the rest of what I needed from the store.

After I found my fabric I had to pick up a mini blind which I found at target for $3.99. All the other supplies I was lucky enough to already have at my home. I got to work while Cole was taking a nap.

1. Let out your blind and lay it on the ground flat. 

2. Place your fabric under the blind in the correct direction that you want it to go. Leave a couple extra inches at the top and bottom so you are able to wrap it around the main support and bottom once the blinds have been glued into place.

3.Take the ladder part of the strings and cut them off. There will be 3 rows of ladder strings. Only the end 2 will have the middle string that runs through the blind. Be careful not to cut through the middle string as this will be used to pull your shade up and let it down.

4. Remove the ladder string.  On the bottom piece you will find 2 plastic circles. Pop them off 
and untie the string. Remove the bottom and the plastic blinds. Leave on as many as you are going to use for your shade. *Tip* I left a few extra on while I was working because I wasn't exactly sure how many I was going to need. No worries if you take to many off they can easily be put back on. Just slide back through the middle string.

5. Pull your strings straight. Take your blinds and place them equal distance apart going all the way down your shade. I chose to place them 6 inches apart and marked where I was going to glue them with a pencil. 

6. Glue each blind to the back of the fabric using your pencil marks as a guide. Make sure you glue the curved side down and be sure to cover the whole blind with the glue for added strength and hold. Make sure not to glue down the middle string. It still needs to be able to move. 

7.Repeat this step until all the blinds are set in place. Leave a little extra fabric at the bottom so you are able to wrap it around the last piece once your circle caps are popped back into place.

8. Next take your heat bond and fold the edge of your fabric to it is in live with the edge of your blinds. Iron the heat bond in place. Trim any excess fabric away to create a straight even hem effect. Place the 2 strings back through the bottom piece and tie. Pop back on the caps and glue the fabric all the way around the top and bottom pieces of the shade.

9. Let dry. Depending on your glue it may take a few hours. Once the glue is dry hang accordingly. I chose to mount my brackets in the window for a very finished and professional look. 

Ta-da!!!
What do you think? I absolutely love it and am so happy with how it turned out! Not to mention it actually even works! It is exactly what I was looking for and exactly the price I was looking for as well. The colors match perfect to our newly painted and decorated kitchen. I still have 3 more to put together once the rest of my fabric ships in and once they're done I'll be able to show you how everything turned out!

For this window I used about 2 yards of fabric and 1 mini blind. I had the scissors, tape measure, fabric glue, and heat bond already to use so I din't have to go out and spend any money on those. In total the cost came to: $9.53 and that includes tax! 

No comments:

Post a Comment